scars

Dermatillomania. 
Commonly referred to as skin-picking disorder.
disorder.
disorder.
disorder.
That word. 
As if I don't already feel bad enough about the fact that since the age of two I haven't been able to control the compulsion to pick at my own skin.
As If I'm not already ashamed.
As If explaining the scars isn't already hard enough.
I don't want to explain for the thousandth time that IT'S NOT SELF HARM,
It's a variety of OCD... (not that that makes it sound any better)
disorder. 
disorder.
disorder.
"Dermatillomania: The primary characteristic of Skin Picking Disorder (also known as Dermatillomania or Excoriation) is the repetitive picking at one’s own skin to the extent of causing damage.”
I pick at my skin because something else is picking at my mind,
and I have fifteen and a half years worth of scars to show for it. 
I hate when people ask about them.
I'm tired of explaining it,
of that word.
disorder.
disorder.
disorder.
I think the biggest problem I have with that word is admitting that yes, 
I have a disorder and realizing that no,
 it does not make me any less of a person. 
And what scares me the most is anyone thinking of me differently because of it.
I'm still me.
PLEASE SEE ME FOR ME NOT FOR MY SCARS.

Comments